Irene's Best Beauty Advice:
- When putting on makeup, always start with a light hand. You can always add more, but it's much harder to take away.
- Invest in good makeup brushes. No shedding, brittle, cheap stuff!
- Make sure you keep your brushes clean. Try to clean them at least every week or two. All you need is a little baby shampoo and warm water. Lay and dry flat. And be gentle!
- Use powder to set your makeup. Then mist your face to make it look dewy
- Make sure you use the right color foundation and concealer for your skin tone. You want to make sure your face and neck are the same color!
Learn how to contour. It will make a world of difference
Blend, Blend, Blend
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize!
- Sunscreen is key~ We don't like wrinkles! And if you want a tan, use a Self-Tanner or Tinted Moisturizer
- Attempt to exfoliate with a gentle scrub, put on a mask depending on your skin type (mud mask for oily skin, peel off for everything else)
- Invest in an at home microdermabrasion kit ( I like the Neutrogena one)
- Use eye cream both morning and night
- * Use an SPF of at least 25 every day. Shiseido, Clarins, and Neutrogena make great SPF lotions that are very light.
- Use a primer when you really want your makeup to stay put
- Tinted moisturizer is great to even out the skin tone without a lot of makeup
- I like to use foundation before concealer. Put foundation where necessary (You don't need to put it all over your face as long as you have the right color for you). Use concealer (mixed with a dab of lotion) on areas that have redness or discoloration. Set with powder
- Using a squeezed wet sponge (preferably the rounded versions) to put foundation only where you need it gives a much more natural look
- When it comes to eyes, the eyebrows are the most important feature because they frame the face. Get your eyebrows profesionally waxed, teased, or threaded and you can maintain them yourself.
- Draw in your eyebrows. It makes such a huge difference. Always use a much lighter color than you would expect. No black! A little bit of color goes a long way.
- Use Visine or some other redness remover to give yourself bright and clear eyes.
- Put on an eyeshadow primer, foundation, or concealer to hold your eye makeup before you put on eyeshadow. I also like to put on a neutral skin-colored eye shadow on top before adding all my crazy colors.
- Put a large amount of loose powder underneath your eyes. This will keep the eye makeup you put on top from setting into your skin (aka shadow fallout). After you finish your eyes, brush away the loose powder
- For Asian eyes, you want to create a crease/depth by starting from the outer corner of your eye and outlining the round part of your eye towards the center. Blend.
- * Add a light shimmery color on the inner corners of your eyes. It adds a little oomph!
- Shimmer is absolutely fabulous (unless you're 50+. Then you need to use very sparingly). Don't put all over (unless you like to go all out). Use in certain areas at a time: on the inner corner, outer corner, all around up to the crease, or under the brow bone
- It's all about the eyeliner. All about the eyeliner. If you have trouble making a straight line, draw a few dots across the eye as close to the lash line as you can and then connect the dots.
- If you don't feel comfortable with a lot of eyeliner, make a small line using brown/black pencil or eyeshadow right above your lashes. Blend. It makes a huge difference. If you feel it's too dark, put neutral shadow or powder over the line.
- When you put on eyeliner, make a little wing at the ends, making sure it goes slightly up. The thicker and farther out you go, the more glamorous and fabulous you will look.
- Putting dark liner all the way across on the bottom will make your eye appear smaller. Start from the end of the eye (away from your nose) and make a line about halfway. Make sure you blend well
- Line the inner rim of your eye (the squishy wet part) on the bottom in a nude eyeliner to make eyes appear larger. Use white for more pop. Use color liner for a mysterious look.
- If you feel that faux lashes look too fake, cut one in half, and put them on the ends of each eye. It looks much more natural that way.
- Curling your eyelashes will open up your eyes a lot. Start at the base of lashes, lightly hold a few seconds, and then lightly squeeze a few times. Continue until you get to the end of your lashes. DON'T CLAMP DOWN- you can break your lashes
- Don't pump the mascara wand up and down- it will dry the mascara out faster. Twirl it around instead
- For an everyday look, smile and put blush on the apples of your cheeks (the part that sticks out). Brush towards your ears and blend with fingers or powder brush
- If you put too much blush on, or you want a more natural look, lightly dust powder on top of the blush and blend. It'll look like you are glowing from within!
- To contour in cheekbones, take a very dark foundation, find where your cheekbone is with your finger, put a line of foundation right underneath. Blend upwards. Take a lighter foundation and put right underneath your cheekbone and blend down
- After putting on blush, run your finger (or a foundation brush) right underneath your cheekbones to blend and "separate" your blush from your skin color.
- After putting on all your makeup and blush, put a little bit of lotion or balm lightly on top of the cheeks by lightly pressing it in. It will make your skin look dewy.
- *After all your makeup is applied, take a light foundation or concealer (foundation if you don't wear a lot of makeup, concealer if you're more experienced) and make the "s-line". Start by drawing a line on top of your eyebrow, side of your face, underneath your eye, next to your nose, and in a curve from chin towards ear. BLEND! Instant face lift
*My Favorite Tips- Especially number 6
- Line the lips in a matching or similar lipliner. It will help keep the lipstick from bleeding. For a more natural look, use a nude lipliner
- If you really want your lipstick to last, put a very light coat of foundation on your lips before adding the lipstick. You can also lightly powder on top of lipstick, then add another coat of lipstick.
- Put a shimmery gloss in the center of your lips to make them pouty.
- Adding gloss to bare lips or over any lipstick will make your lips pop!
- For a perfect pout, line the outside of the lips with foundation to keep the lips from "bleeding"
- For a very pretty and natural look, take a DAB of foundation and put all over your lips. Take a reddish/pinkish lipstick and put in the middle of your lip. Blend out.
- Use an at home whitening strip. You don't need to use them everyday like they say. Once a week or every few weeks makes a difference, and you're teeth won't turn blueish or sensitive.
- When you spray perfume, spray it into the air and put your wrist under it. You can also spray above you and walk under it. Much more natural
- Don't smoke. Yellow teeth, Wrinkles, Leathery skin. Think of the lady in "There's Something About Mary"
- Try to stay away from plastic surgery. It's amazing what you can do with makeup
- Don't be afraid to use color. It brightens your face, and can brighten your day and others too
- If you're having an "ugly day", do as the celebs do and put on a hat, a scarf, and sunglasses. You'll look mysterious!
- Don't be afraid to go "all out". Who cares what people say as long as you are happy with the way you look! My favorite words: "Do whatever you want"
- More important than having a beautiful face is having a beautiful heart.
- Smile. You'll look 100 times more beautiful in an instant! =)
More Bang For Your Buck
- If you drop an eyeshadow and it breaks, put it into a small jar and use as a pigment. You can use as eyeshadow, mix with gloss to make lipstick, or put on your cheeks as blush!
- Add lotion to your foundation to make it lighter and more like a tinted moisturizer.
- Add lotion to concealer to make it more of a foundation texture.
- Use Vaseline as lip gloss, eye gloss, and to give your skin a dewy look on the top of your cheeks
- To make your manicure last longer, put on a clear top coat every day or every other day.
- You can make your own eyeliner by mixing your eyeshadow with water or a liquid sealer (I recommend the latter)
- Buy pure pigment to make your own makeup. You only need a very little as these are very strong colors. You can make eyeshadows, blush, and lipsticks.
- If you buy the wrong color lipstick, use it as a cream blush or eyeshadow.
- If you don't want to spend a lot of money on makeup brushes, head to an art supply store (such as Pearl Paints, A.C. Moore, or Michael's) and buy paint brushes. Many come in the same shapes and can work just as well as a makeup brush. Just make sure it is soft and doesn't shed.
- Use Conditioner as shave gel. It works just as well and makes your skin soft!
- Use baby powder as dry shampoo. If your hair is really oily, put a little bit of powder into your hand and run through your roots.